CAPRESE SALAD RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE CAPRESE SALAD
Provided by: THEPIONEERWOMAN.COM
Categories: appetizers,main dish,salad
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|2 c. balsamic vinegar|
|3 whole ripe tomatoes, sliced thick|
|12 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced thick|
|fresh basil leaves|
|olive oil, for drizzling|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes, or until balsamic has reduced to a thicker glaze. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or cruet. Allow to cool.
- When you’re ready to serve, arrange tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter. Arrange basil leaves between the slices. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, getting a little bit on each slice. Do the same with the balsamic reduction, making designs if you want. Store extra balsamic reduction in fridge for a later use.
- End with a sprinkling of kosher salt and black pepper. Serve as a lunch, with crusty bread. Or serve alongside a beef main course for dinner.
BEST FRIED GREEN TOMATOES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Diana Swenson-Siegel
Categories: Fried Green Tomatoes
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|4 large green tomatoes|
|½ cup milk|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|½ cup cornmeal|
|½ cup bread crumbs|
|2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt|
|¼ teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1 quart vegetable oil for frying|
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Discard the ends.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.
- In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is 1/2 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat. Place tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the size of your skillet. Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other. When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the other side. Drain them on paper towels.
Calories 510 calories, CarbohydrateContent 56.3 g, CholesterolContent 95.4 mg, FatContent 27 g, FiberContent 4.6 g, ProteinContent 12.6 g, SaturatedFatContent 4.3 g, SodiumContent 1136 mg, SugarContent 9.9 g