BEST POACHED EGG RECIPE – HOW TO POACH AN EGG
Provided by: THEPIONEERWOMAN.COM
Total time: 3 minutes
Prep time: 0S
Cook time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil, then salt the water. Meanwhile, crack an egg (or two, or three!) into a small cup.
- With a spoon, begin stirring the boiling water in a large, circular motion.
- When the water is swirling like a tornado, add the ;eggs. The swirling water will help the egg white wrap around itself as it cooks.
- Cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the egg (or eggs) to a plate.
PERFECT POACHED CHICKEN
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes about 3 cups cooked chicken (cubed or shredded)
|1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast or thighs|
|3 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a knife|
|1 shallot, peeled and quartered|
|1 bay leaf|
|2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme|
|1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt|
|Water, or substitute with chicken or vegetable stock or broth|
|Optional for serving: fresh cracked black pepper, lemon slices, fresh herbs, and olive oil|
- Add chicken, garlic, shallot, bay leaf, thyme, and the salt to a medium pot. Cover with water by an inch or two, 5 to 6 cups.
- Place the pot over medium heat and heat until the liquid comes to a low simmer. This will take a few minutes. For the most tender poached chicken, don’t try to rush this step.
- When the liquid is at a low simmer, turn down the heat to low and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. To check for doneness, an internal thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit, and the juices will run clear when you pierce the chicken with a knife.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Slice and serve. If you do not plan on eating the chicken straightaway, skip the slicing and store tightly covered in the refrigerator. The chicken will keep 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
ServingSize 1/2 cup, Calories 140, FatContent 3g, SaturatedFatContent 0.6g, CholesterolContent 82.7mg, SodiumContent 632.9mg, CarbohydrateContent 0.9g, FiberContent 0.1g, SugarContent 0.1g, ProteinContent 25.7g
PERFECT POACHED EGGS RECIPE | ALTON BROWN | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Alton Brown
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- Heat the water: Add enough water to come 1 inch up the side of a narrow, deep 2-quart saucier. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 2 teaspoons white vinegar and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, crack 1 very fresh cold large egg into a custard cup or small ramekin. Use the handle of a spatula or spoon to quickly stir the water in one direction until it’s all smoothly spinning around.
- TIP: Use this whirlpool method when poaching a single serving (one or two eggs). For bigger batches, heat the water, salt and vinegar in a 12-inch nonstick skillet and do not stir.
- Add the egg: Carefully drop the egg into the center of the whirlpool. The swirling water will help prevent the white from “feathering,” or spreading out in the pan.
- Let it poach: Turn off the heat, cover the pan and set your timer for 5 minutes. Don’t peek, poke, stir or accost the egg in any way.
- Lift it out: Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and serve immediately. Alternatively, move the egg to an ice bath and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Reheat in warm water just before serving.
BEST POACHED SALMON RECIPE — HOW TO MAKE POACHED SALMON
Provided by: DELISH.COM
Categories: fish,main dish
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0S
Yield: 4 servings
|4 (6-oz.) skinless salmon fillets|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 c. dry white wine|
|1 c. water|
|Few sprigs fresh dill, plus more for serving|
|3 cloves garlic, smashed|
|Lemon wedges, for serving|
- Season salmon on both sides with salt and pepper. In a shallow pan over medium heat, bring wine, water, dill, and garlic cloves to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add salmon fillets and let simmer, covered, until cooked through, 10 minutes. Remove salmon carefully with a fish spatula or large slotted spoon.
- Serve with fresh dill and lemon wedges.