CHICKEN TINGA RECIPE
Provided by: Douglas Cullen
Categories: Main Dish
Total time: 70 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
|1 pound whole boneless chicken breast|
|4 plum tomatoes|
|1 1/4 large white onions|
|3 cloves of garlic|
|2 tablespoons canned chipotle|
|1 teaspoon Mexican oregano|
|1/4 teaspoon black pepper|
|1 cup chicken broth|
|3 tablespoons cooking oil|
|Salt to taste|
- SHREDDED CHICKEN
- In a large saucepan cover the chicken with an inch of water.
- Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the cooking water. Save the broth.
- Allow chicken to cool to the touch.
- Finely shred the chicken. Cut the chicken into 1″ pieces then pull apart wth your fingers.
- CHIPOTLE TOMATO SAUCE
- Clean, seed and chop the tomatoes.
- Add tomatoes to you blender.
- Add 2 tablespoons canned chipotle to blender. Use 3 tablespoons of chipotle if you prefer it spicier.
- Add 1 clove of garlic, 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano to blender jar, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to blender.
- Then add 1 cup of the reserved chicken broth.
- Blend until smooth. About 1 minute.
- Thinly slice 1 large white onion. Yields approximately 1 1/2 cups.
- Slice 2 cloves of garlic.
- Preheat a large frying pan over medium-low heat and add 3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan. Cook until the onion starts to become translucent about 4 minutes. Do not allow the onion to brown.
- Add the sliced garlic to the pan cook for 1 more minute.
- Turn the heat to medium and slowly pour the sauce into the pan with the onions and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes. The sauce will start to reduce.
- Turn the heat to low
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan and mix well with the sauce.
- Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. During this time the sauce will reduce even more and coat the chicken and onion.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve as a taco or tostada filling.
ServingSize 1 /2 cup, Calories 109 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 4 g, ProteinContent 14 g, FatContent 4 g, SodiumContent 225 mg, SugarContent 2 g
TINGA DE POLLO (CHICKEN WITH CHIPOTLE AND ONIONS) RECIPE – NYT …
Provided by: Tejal Rao
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 4 servings (about 3 cups)
|2 pounds bone-in chicken legs, breasts or a combination|
|1/2 medium white onion|
|1 celery stalk, cut into 2-inch pieces|
|2 small carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces|
|1/4 cup vegetable oil|
|1 medium white onion, halved and thinly sliced|
|3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes|
|3 chipotles in adobo with sauce (1/3 cup)|
|2 garlic cloves, peeled|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- Cook the chicken: Combine the chicken, onion, celery and carrots in a large saucepan and add 4 cups cold water. Add more water if needed to cover the solids. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until the chicken is very tender and falling off the bones, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl. When cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones, then pull the meat into very fine shreds. Strain the broth and reserve for Tamales de Pollo or another use.
- While the chicken cooks, make the sauce: Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. While the onion cooks, puree the tomatoes, chipotles and garlic in a blender until smooth. Add to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and gently fold to evenly coat and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately or cool to room temperature to use a filling for Tamales de Pollo.