VINCENT PRICE SPAGHETTI ALLA BOLOGNESE (SPAGHETTI W/ MEAT SAUCE …
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|2 tablespoons butter|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions|
|3 slices lean bacon, in small pieces|
|1 carrot, chopped|
|1 celery rib, chopped|
|1/2 lb coarsely ground beef|
|2 chicken livers, minced|
|2 tablespoons tomato paste|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|1 cup beef stock|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 strip lemon peel|
|salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|1 garlic clove, crushed|
|3 quarts water|
|1 lb uncooked spaghetti|
|1/2 cup cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half|
|4 tablespoons butter|
|4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese|
|additional freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish|
- In a heavy skillet heat together the butter and oil, then add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pieces of bacon, chopped carrot, and celery, and saute over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the coarsely ground beef and stir until the meat is coated with fat, then add the minced chicken livers, stir, and cook until the meat browns evenly, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, wine, beef stock, bay leaf, and lemon peel, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper and the crushed garlic.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf and lemon peel, then allow to simmer uncovered until the sauce slightly thickens.
- During the last minutes of the sauce simmering, cook the spaghetti according to package directions, about 7 to 10 minutes; drain well.
- Just before you serve the sauce, add the cream or half and half, stir well, and heat through.
- Place the cooked spaghetti on a warm platter and dot with the 4 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with the 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan.
- Serve the pasta either with the meat sauce on the side or in the center of the platter with the pasta around it.
- Pass with additional freshly grated Parmesan, and enjoy!
Calories 1281.5, FatContent 82, SaturatedFatContent 37.3, CholesterolContent 316.1, SodiumContent 676.4, CarbohydrateContent 96.6, FiberContent 5.6, SugarContent 7.8, ProteinContent 33.4