KARAAGE (JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN) WITH HONEY MAYOSTER SAUCE …
Provided by: schen1
Categories: Japanese Recipes
Total time: 8 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon honey|
|2 teaspoons minced garlic|
|2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger|
|1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces|
|1 cup panko bread crumbs|
|vegetable oil for frying|
|½ cup Japanese mayonnaise|
|2 tablespoons honey|
|2 tablespoons Dijon mustard|
|3 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet wine)|
|1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce|
- Mix 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, garlic, and ginger together in a bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator, 8 hours to overnight.
- Whisk egg in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour panko bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Dip chicken pieces in whisked egg and roll in panko until coated.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cook chicken in batches in the hot oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Mix Japanese mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons honey, Dijon mustard, mirin, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce together to make sauce. Pour sauce over chicken.
Calories 680.6 calories, CarbohydrateContent 46.1 g, CholesterolContent 127.6 mg, FatContent 47.5 g, FiberContent 0.4 g, ProteinContent 21.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 8.7 g, SodiumContent 1045.1 mg, SugarContent 17 g