BEST PERSIAN-STYLE BAKED SAFFRON RICE WITH CHICKEN – HOW TO MAKE …
Provided by: 177MILKSTREET.COM
Total time: 1 hours 50 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 50 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
|1 1/2 cups basmati rice|
|1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled|
|2 tablespoons boiling water|
|3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided|
|12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1- to 1½-inch pieces|
|3 teaspoons grated lemon zest, divided|
|2 medium garlic cloves, finely grated|
|Kosher salt and ground black pepper|
|1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt|
|1 large egg yolk|
|3 tablespoons dried currants|
|2 tablespoons salted butter, melted|
|Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to serve|
|Roughly chopped roasted pistachios, to serve|
- In a medium bowl, combine the rice with enough water to cover by about 1 inch. Set aside at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up 12 hours. Drain the rice in a fine-mesh sieve, then rinse under cool running water and drain again.
- In a small bowl, stir together the saffron and boiling water; set aside. Heat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the lowest position. Brush the bottom and sides of a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest, the garlic, ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of the saffron water. Stir until the chicken is evenly coated; set aside at room temperature.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt, egg yolk, remaining 2 teaspoons lemon zest and remaining saffron water; whisk until well combined.
- When the water reaches a boil, stir in the rice and 2 tablespoons salt. Return to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes; it will not be fully cooked. Drain the rice in a fine-holed colander or large fine-mesh sieve, shaking to remove excess water. Add the rice to the yogurt mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add about 1½ cups rice mixture to the prepared pie plate, gently pressing it into an even layer over the bottom and about halfway up the sides. Stir the chicken mixture and the currants into the remaining rice mixture, then transfer to the pie plate and distribute in an even layer; do not compact the rice mixture.
Drizzle the melted butter evenly over top. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour. Carefully remove the foil and continue to bake until the bottom is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Run a silicone spatula around the edge to loosen the rice from the pie plate. Invert a serving platter over the pie plate. Holding the platter against the pie plate, carefully invert the two together. Carefully remove the pie plate. Sprinkle with parsley and pistachios.
PERSIAN-STYLE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Provided by: Naz Deravian
Categories: Heritage Cooking
Total time: 1 hours 0 minutes
|4-5 saffron threads (see Tips)|
|2 tablespoons hot water|
|3 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 medium red onion, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 medium butternut squash (about 2 3/4 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed (1/2-inch)|
|1 large sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cubed (1/2-inch)|
|¾ teaspoon ground cumin|
|½ teaspoon kosher salt|
|½ teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|¼ teaspoon ground coriander|
|¼ teaspoon ground pepper|
|3 ½ cups water|
|1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup|
|A few drops orange blossom water (optional)|
|Ground sumac for serving (see Tips)|
- Grind saffron threads with a mortar and pestle to get 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron. Place the ground saffron in a small glass bowl. Add 2 tablespoons very hot (but not boiling) water. Stir, cover and set aside to steep.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Add squash, sweet potato, cumin, salt, cinnamon, coriander and pepper. Stir to combine; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups water to the pot; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the reserved saffron water. If there is saffron clinging to the side of the bowl, drizzle in a little more water, swish it around and add it to the pot (this is precious stuff!). Stir to combine; cover and simmer until the squash and sweet potato are soft and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Taste the broth for seasoning and adjust as desired.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and add maple syrup and orange blossom water, if using. (Start with 1 teaspoon maple syrup and just a drop or two of orange blossom water–and don’t measure over the soup.) Puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Taste and add more syrup and orange blossom water, if desired, but keep in mind the maple syrup and orange blossom water should not overwhelm the soup. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with sumac, if desired.
Calories 175.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 29.1 g, FatContent 7 g, FiberContent 4.8 g, ProteinContent 2.5 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, SodiumContent 188 mg, SugarContent 6.4 g
PERSIAN STYLE APPLE CAKE RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 serving(s)
|125 g sugar|
|4 tablespoons warm water|
|1/2 teaspoon baking powder|
|75 g flour|
|50 g cornstarch|
|1200 g apples, peeled and sliced|
|1 tablespoon rose water|
|80 g sugar|
|75 g raisins|
|5 tablespoons water|
|3 tablespoons cornstarch|
|125 g chocolate frosting (optional)|
- Mix eggs and sugar with a food processor until soft. Stir in the flour, the cornstarch and the baking powder to soft dough.
- Cover your square mold of 30 to 40 cm with baking paper and smear your dough.
- Bake 12 minutes at 180°C (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- Mix the apples, with rosewater, sugar and raisins. Heat in the microwave until hot (it takes about 8-10 minutes). You can do it in a pan too.
- Mix the water with the starch well in a glass and add to the apples mix.
- Heat again until it thickens. And spread the apple mix on the baked dough.
- Prepare your chocolate frosting as indicated by the instructions and brush it on the apples mix.
Calories 228.1, FatContent 1.9, SaturatedFatContent 0.6, CholesterolContent 62, SodiumContent 42.1, CarbohydrateContent 52, FiberContent 3.8, SugarContent 35.4, ProteinContent 3.3