RECIPE: HOW TO COOK: QUINOA | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
Provided by: WHOLEFOODSMARKET.COM
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
|1 cup quinoa|
|1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|2 cups water or broth|
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear.
- Transfer quinoa to a medium pot with water (or broth) and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender and a white “tail” appears around each grain, about 15 minutes.
- Cover and set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
Calories 160 calories, FatContent 2.5 grams, SaturatedFatContent 0 grams, CholesterolContent 0 milligrams, SodiumContent 150 milligrams, CarbohydrateContent 27 grams, ProteinContent 6 grams
HOW TO PREPARE AND COOK QUINOA
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes about 3 cups
|1 cup quinoa|
|2 cups water or stock like chicken stock or veggie broth|
|Pinch fine sea salt, optional|
- Add quinoa to a fine mesh strainer, and then rinse under cool water for 30 seconds to a minute. Alternatively, add the quinoa to a bowl and cover with cool water. Move the quinoa around the bowl, and then drain the water and repeat once more so the quinoa has been rinsed.
- Shake the quinoa of any excess liquid. Combine the rinsed quinoa and water (or stock) in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer and cook, uncovered, until the liquid is absorbed by the quinoa, 10 to 15 minutes. If you are making a large batch of quinoa, this may take closer to 20 minutes.
- Move the saucepan off of the heat and cover for five minutes. This extra time allows the quinoa to steam and ‘fluff up’. Uncover, and then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
ServingSize 3/4 cup cooked, Calories 156, FatContent 2.6g, SaturatedFatContent 0.3g, CholesterolContent 0mg, SodiumContent 45.6mg, CarbohydrateContent 27.3g, FiberContent 3g, SugarContent 0g, ProteinContent 6g