MUSSEL MASALA WITH COCONUT, GINGER AND GREEN CHILLIES
Provided by: Rick Stein
Yield: Serves 2-4
See Rick’s brilliant video tutorial on how to clean and prepare mussels for cooking:
Put a splash of water into a large saucepan, add the mussels, cover with a lid and cook over a high heat, shaking the pan every now and again until all the mussels have opened and are cooked: 3–4 minutes.
Heat the coconut oil in a large sturdy pan over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and fry for 30 seconds until they start to pop, then stir in the coconut and fry for 1 minute.
Add the onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Add the mussels and their liquor to the pan, followed by the fennel seeds, black pepper, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Cook for a further 1–2 minutes, then serve.
MUSSELS WITH GARAM MASALA RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
Provided by: Paul Grimes
Total time: 45 min
Cook time: 20 min
Yield: Makes 4 servings
|1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped, reserving fronds|
|4 garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mixture)|
|1/4 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes|
|1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice|
|2/3 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk|
|4 pounds cultivated mussels, scrubbed|
|1 cup basil leaves, finely chopped|
|Accompaniment: naan or crusty bread|
- Heat oil in an 8-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook onion, fennel, garlic, garam masala, red-pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion and fennel are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and coconut milk and bring just to a boil. Add mussels and cook over medium-high heat, covered, stirring occasionally, just until mussels open wide, 8 to 10 minutes. (Discard any that remain unopened after 10 minutes.)
- Chop about 2 tablespoons reserved fennel fronds and stir into mussels along with basil.
MUSSELS MASALA RECIPE | SCHWARTZ
Provided by: Schwartz
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|675 g (1½ lbs) fresh mussels|
|25 g (1 oz) unsalted butter|
|1 tbsp Garlic Granule|
|4 shallots, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp ginger, chopped|
|2 tbsp Curry Powder Medium|
|300 ml (½ pint) fish stock|
|275 ml (9 fl oz) single cream|
|2 tbsp Coriander Leaf|
|Schwartz Sea Salt and Black Pepper to season|
- Clean and de-beard the mussels, discard any that do not open when lightly tapped.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the Garlic, shallots and ginger, until soft.
- Add the Curry Powder, stock and cream, season to taste and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with the Coriander Leaf.
Calories 516 Calories