PAN DE MUERTOS (MEXICAN BREAD OF THE DEAD) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Lorna
Categories: Breakfast Bread
Total time: 3 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1 large round loaf
|¼ cup milk|
|¼ cup margarine|
|¼ cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)|
|3 cups all-purpose flour|
|¼ cup white sugar|
|2 teaspoons anise seed|
|1 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|2 eggs, beaten|
|1 tablespoon orange zest|
|¼ cup white sugar|
|¼ cup orange juice|
|2 teaspoons orange zest|
|2 tablespoons white sugar|
- Make bread: Heat milk and margarine in a medium saucepan over low heat until margarine melts. Remove from heat and add warm water. Mixture should be around 110 degrees F (43 degrees C).
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, anise seed, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Beat in warm milk mixture, then add eggs and orange zest; beat until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup flour and continue adding more flour until dough is soft.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch dough down and shape into a large round loaf with a round knob on top. Place dough onto a baking sheet; loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until just about doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool slightly before brushing with glaze.
- Make glaze: Combine 1/4 cup sugar, orange juice, and orange zest in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 2 minutes. Brush glaze over top of warm bread. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
Calories 207.5 calories, CarbohydrateContent 35.7 g, CholesterolContent 31.4 mg, FatContent 5.1 g, FiberContent 1.1 g, ProteinContent 4.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, SodiumContent 155.6 mg, SugarContent 11.3 g
NEW MEXICAN CAPIROTADA (BREAD PUDDING) RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 serving(s)
|1/2 cup raisins|
|1/2 cup brandy|
|6 cups French bread or 6 cups Italian bread, cubed toasted|
|1/2 cup pecans or 1/2 cup almonds, toasted chopped|
|1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded|
|1 tart apple, peeled cored chopped|
|1/2 cup dried apricot, chopped|
|2 1/2 cups hot water|
|2 cups sugar|
|1/2 cup apple cider|
|1/2 cup orange juice|
|1/4 cup butter|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (canela, if available)|
|1/8 teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|whipped cream, for garnish|
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour the brandy over them. Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer the bread in the baking dish. Add the pecans and the cheese to the bread, mixing both in lightly. Scatter the raisins over the top, including any brandy not absorbed by the fruit.
- In a small skillet, warm 2 tbsp of the butter. Add apple and apricots and saute until softened. Spoon the fruit over the raisins.
- Pour the sugar into a large, heavy saucepan. Warm over medium high heat till the sugar melts and turns a deep golden brown, about 8 – 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure even melting. Pour the water into the molten sugar, standing back from the pan to avoid the steam that will rise as the water hits the sugar. The mixture will partially solidify.
- Continue cooking till liquid again, stirring occasionally. Add the apple cider, orange juice, butter, vanilla and spices to the syrup. Ladle the syrup carefully over the bread. When the preparation is complete, the syrup should be about level with the top of the bread. If any bread pieces aren’t coated, push them into the syrup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, till the syrup has absorbed and the cheese has melted into the pudding. Serve the pudding hot, topped with whipped cream if you like.
Calories 953.9, FatContent 18.6, SaturatedFatContent 7.9, CholesterolContent 32.6, SodiumContent 1040.3, CarbohydrateContent 165.1, FiberContent 6.5, SugarContent 68.6, ProteinContent 25.2