PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPE – BBC FOOD
Provided by: Annie Rigg
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: Serves 8
|425g tin pineapple rings in juice (drained weight 250g)|
|4 tbsp soft light brown sugar|
|235g/8oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing|
|175g/6oz caster sugar|
|3 free-range eggs, beaten|
|½ tsp vanilla bean paste|
|175g/6oz self-raising flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|pinch of salt|
|2 tbsp milk|
- Preheat the oven to 180C/170C Fan/Gas 4. Butter the sides of a deep 20cm/8in cake tin.
- Drain the pineapple slices and leave to dry on kitchen paper. Put the soft brown sugar and 60g/2oz of the butter in a small frying pan and melt over a medium heat. Spoon into the prepared cake tin. Cut seven of the pineapple rings in half to make semi-circles and arrange around the tin – you may only need six of the rings depending on how tightly you pack the slices. Place the remaining whole ring in the middle of the tin.
- Cream the remaining 175g/6oz butter and the caster sugar together until pale and light. Gradually add the eggs, mixing well between each addition. Add the vanilla and mix again.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl, add the milk and fold together until smooth. Carefully spoon over the pineapple slices and spread level.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until risen, golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 1 minute and then carefully turn out onto a serving plate and leave to cool. This cake is best served slightly warm or at room temperature, with vanilla ice cream, lightly whipped cream or custard.
BERRY BEST UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPE – BETTYCROCKER.COM
Provided by: Betty Crocker Kitchens
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
|1/3 cup butter or margarine|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|1 bag (12 oz) frozen mixed berries (blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries), thawed, drained|
|1 1/3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour|
|1 cup sugar|
|2/3 cup milk|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|1 teaspoon vanilla|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch square pan or 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat butter in oven about 2 minutes or until melted. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar evenly over melted butter. Spoon berries evenly over sugar mixture.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Pour batter over berries.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan or skillet; turn plate and pan or skillet over. Leave pan over cake about 1 minute so sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan or skillet. Serve warm. Store cake loosely covered.
Calories 300 , CarbohydrateContent 54 g, CholesterolContent 45 mg, FatContent 1 1/2 , FiberContent 2 g, ProteinContent 4 g, SaturatedFatContent 4 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, SodiumContent 250 mg, SugarContent 39 g, TransFatContent 0 g