HEALTHY SPAGHETTI “BOLOGNESE” – JAMIE GELLER
Provided by: 28 Day JOY of KOSHER Challenge
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
|1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil|
|1 ½ large onions, finely chopped|
|1 pound ground chicken or turkey|
|3 garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 large carrots, finely chopped|
|2 stalks celery, finely chopped|
|2 cups broccoli florets, chopped|
|1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes|
|1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce|
|1 tablespoon dried oregano|
|1 ½ pounds whole-wheat spaghetti|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
- 1. Heat oil in a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, sauté 2 minutes.
3. Add chicken or turkey and garlic. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon breaking up
meat, for about 5 minutes or until browned.
4. Add carrots, celery, and broccoli. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until
vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and oregano. Reduce heat to
medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
6. Add pasta to the saucepan and toss well to coat.
7. Serve topped with freshly ground black pepper. Nutritional Information (per serving):
550 calories, 12 g fat, 50 mg cholesterol, 910 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrates, 16 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 32 g protein Courtesy of the 28 Day JOY of KOSHER Challenge by Jamie Geller and Tamar Genger MA, RD.