GALBI (KOREAN-STYLE SHORT RIBS) RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: David Tanis
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: About 20 slices, 4 to 6 servings
|3 pounds short ribs, cut in 1/2-inch slices across the bones (flanken-style)|
|1/3 cup soy sauce|
|1/3 cup brown sugar|
|1/3 cup rice wine|
|1 tablespoon sesame oil|
|2 teaspoons black pepper|
|1/4 teaspoon cayenne or gochujang|
|1 medium onion, peeled and quartered|
|8 garlic cloves, peeled|
|1 small Asian pear, peeled, cored and quartered (or use an ordinary pear or tart apple)|
|1 1-inch chunk of ginger, peeled|
|2 teaspoons sesame seeds|
|Sliced red or green hot pepper, optional|
|Ssamjang (spicy Korean soybean paste), for dipping, optional|
|Steamed rice, optional|
- Rinse short ribs in cold water, pat dry and place in a wide shallow bowl. In another bowl, mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, sesame oil, black pepper and cayenne.
- Put onion, garlic, pear and ginger in the work bowl of a food processor. Grind ingredients to a smooth purée, then add to soy sauce mixture. Add sesame seeds. Thin with ¼ cup water. Pour marinade over short ribs and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Bring to room temperature, drain and discard marinade.
- Cook short ribs on a hot grill or under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until nicely browned but juicy. Pile grilled meat on a platter and serve immediately with lettuce leaves on the side. Accompany with sliced hot peppers, ssamjang and steamed rice, if desired.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 993, UnsaturatedFatContent 43 grams, CarbohydrateContent 17 grams, FatContent 85 grams, FiberContent 2 grams, ProteinContent 35 grams, SaturatedFatContent 36 grams, SodiumContent 894 milligrams, SugarContent 11 grams
KOREAN BBQ SHORT RIBS (GALBI) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: funinthesun
Categories: Beef Short Ribs
Total time: 7 hours 25 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
|¾ cup soy sauce|
|¾ cup water|
|3 tablespoons white vinegar|
|2 tablespoons sesame oil|
|½ large onion, minced|
|¼ cup minced garlic|
|¼ cup dark brown sugar|
|2 tablespoons white sugar|
|1 tablespoon black pepper|
|3 pounds Korean-style short ribs (beef chuck flanken, cut 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick across bones)|
- Pour soy sauce, water, vinegar, and sesame oil into a large, non-metallic bowl. Whisk in onion, garlic, brown sugar, white sugar, and pepper, whisking until sugars dissolve. Submerge ribs in the marinade. Cover the bowl and refrigerate 7 to 12 hours; the longer, the better.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove ribs from marinade and shake off excess; discard marinade.
- Cook on the preheated grill until the meat is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Calories 710 calories, CarbohydrateContent 23.2 g, CholesterolContent 111.9 mg, FatContent 55.5 g, FiberContent 1 g, ProteinContent 28.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 22 g, SodiumContent 2230.6 mg, SugarContent 17 g
KALBI (KOREAN BARBEQUED BEEF SHORT RIBS) RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Food Network
Total time: 4 hours 28 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings as a main course
|5 pounds Korean style beef short ribs*|
|1 cup brown sugar, packed|
|1 cup soy sauce|
|1/2 cup water|
|1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)|
|1 small onion, peeled and finely grated|
|1 small Asian pear, peeled and finely grated|
|4 tablespoons minced garlic|
|2 tablespoons dark sesame oil|
|1/4 teaspoon black pepper|
|2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)|
- Preparation: Sprinkle brown sugar over beef and mix well to evenly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while preparing marinade. In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Transfer beef into a large sealable freezer bag (you may need 2). Add marinade, press out excess air from bags, and seal. Turn bag over several times to ensure beef is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot. Drain excess marinade off beef. Grill short ribs, turning once, to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions, if desired. Serve whole pieces as a main course or cut into smaller pieces, using kitchen shears, for a starter or party nibble.