CHEF JOHN’S FRENCH FRIES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: French Fries
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
|1 large russet potato, cut into evenly sized strips|
|2 cups vegetable oil for frying, or as needed|
|salt to taste|
- Soak potato strips in a large bowl of water for about 30 minutes. Pat with paper towels until thoroughly dry.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Gently add potatoes to the hot oil and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring and flipping the potatoes occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to transfer potatoes to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool completely.
- Heat oil again, but this time to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Add potatoes and fry a second time until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the deep-fryer and blot with a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt to serve.
Calories 2086.9 calories, CarbohydrateContent 32.2 g, FatContent 220.2 g, FiberContent 4.1 g, ProteinContent 3.7 g, SaturatedFatContent 28.5 g, SodiumContent 11.1 mg
DOUBLE-FRIED FRENCH FRIES RECIPE | GUY FIERI | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Guy Fieri Bio & Top Recipes
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|4 (4 to 5-inches long) russet potatoes (about 2 pounds)|
|2 quarts canola oil|
|1 tablespoons fine-grain sea salt|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
- Peel potatoes on the sides, leaving the ends with the skin on. Cut the potatoes into 1/3-inch slices and then slice into 1/3-inch sticks.
- Fill a large bowl with water and soak potatoes, submerged, for at least 30 minutes up to 24 hours. This will help remove the excess starch from the potatoes and keep them from oxidizing.
- Heat a heavy stock pot fitted with a deep-fry thermometer with oil to 325 degrees F.
- Remove potatoes from the water, and pat dry to remove excess water. Add 2 handfuls of potatoes to hot oil. There should be at least 1-inch of oil above the potatoes. Par cook until potatoes are light brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove potatoes, gently shaking off excess oil and let drain on rack. Repeat until all of the potatoes are par cooked.
- Raise heat of oil to 350 degrees F.
- Cook potatoes again, 2 handfuls at a time, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from oil, shake off excess oil, and season lightly in a bowl with salt and pepper. Repeat until all potatoes are cooked.