BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE AND ONION RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
|1 tablespoon butter|
|1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced|
|1 Gala or Fuji apple, halved, cored, and sliced|
|1 head red cabbage (2 pounds), cored, quartered, and thinly sliced|
|Coarse salt and ground pepper|
|3 tablespoons cider vinegar|
|4 teaspoons sugar|
|1/2 cup water|
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium. Add onion and apple; cook, stirring, until onion softens, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in red cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Add vinegar, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
Calories 138 g, FatContent 3 g, FiberContent 5 g, ProteinContent 3 g
BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Cassie Best
Categories: Side dish
Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 10 minutes
|1 small red cabbage (about 900g)|
|1 sliced red onion|
|70g soft light brown sugar|
|70ml cider vinegar|
|150ml red wine|
|a large knob of butter|
|1 cinnamon stick|
- Quarter the red cabbage and remove the core, then finely shred. Tip into a large pan with the red onion, brown sugar, cider vinegar, red wine, butter and cinnamon stick and season well. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid, lower the heat and cook for 1 1/ 2 hrs, stirring every so often. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 30 mins until tender. Will keep for two days, or can be frozen for two months. Reheat until piping hot.
Calories 87 calories, FatContent 1 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 1 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 12 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 12 grams sugar, FiberContent 3 grams fiber, ProteinContent 1 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.1 milligram of sodium
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Martha Rose Shulman
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
|1 large red cabbage, 2 to 2 1/2 pounds, quartered, cored and cut crosswise in thin strips|
|2 tablespoons canola oil|
|1 small onion, thinly sliced|
|2 tart apples, such as Braeburn or granny smith, peeled, cored and sliced|
|About 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar|
|1/4 teaspoon ground allspice|
|freshly ground pepper to taste|
- Prepare the cabbage, and cover with cold water while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, lidded skillet or casserole, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until just about tender, about three minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, until the mixture is golden, about three minutes, then add the apples and stir for two to three minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and add to the pot. Toss to coat thoroughly, then stir in the allspice, another 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and salt to taste. Toss together. Cover the pot, and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring from time to time. Add freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt, and add another tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar as desired.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 102, UnsaturatedFatContent 3 grams, CarbohydrateContent 17 grams, FatContent 4 grams, FiberContent 4 grams, ProteinContent 2 grams, SaturatedFatContent 0 grams, SodiumContent 453 milligrams, SugarContent 10 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
EASY BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER SIDES RECIPES
Provided by: Jamie Oliver
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
|1 red cabbage|
|2 eating apples|
|2 rashers of higher-welfare smoked streaky bacon|
|½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley|
|1 tablespoon fennel seeds|
|150 ml balsamic vinegar|
|1 small knob of unsalted butter|
- Peel and slice the onion. Click off and discard any tatty outer leaves from the cabbage, then remove the core and chop into irregular chunks.
- Peel the apples, then chop into 2.5cm pieces, and pick and finely chop the parsley leaves. Finely slice the bacon.
- Drizzle a good lug of oil into a pan over a medium heat, add the bacon, then bash and add the fennel seeds and cook until golden.
- Add the onion, cover, and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and sticky.
- Scatter in the apple and cabbage, season with sea salt, black pepper and the vinegar, then stir well.
- Pop the lid back on, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 1 hour, or until gorgeously sticky and sweet, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop into a serving dish, pop the butter on top and sprinkle over the parsley, then serve.
Calories 237 calories, FatContent 9.7 g fat, SaturatedFatContent 2.6 g saturated fat, ProteinContent 5 g protein, CarbohydrateContent 32.8 g carbohydrate, SugarContent 30.4 g sugar, SodiumContent 0.8 g salt, FiberContent 6.9 g fibre