ULTIMATE ROAST POTATOES RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Angela Nilsen
Categories: Dinner, Side dish
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
|1kg Maris Piper potatoes|
|100g duck or goose fat (for a luxurious taste), or 100ml/3½fl oz olive oil|
|2 tsp flour|
|Maldon salt, to serve|
- Put a roasting tin in the oven (one big enough to take the potatoes in a single layer) and heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Peel 1kg potatoes and cut each into 4 even-sized pieces if they are medium size, 2-3 if smaller (5cm pieces).
- Drop the potatoes into a large pan and pour in enough water to barely cover them.
- Add salt, then wait for the water to boil. As soon as the water reaches a full rolling boil, lower the heat, put your timer on and simmer the potatoes uncovered, reasonably vigorously, for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, put 100g duck or goose fat or 100ml olive oil into the hot roasting tin and heat it in the oven for a few mins, so it’s really hot.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander then shake the colander back and forth a few times to fluff up the outsides.
- Sprinkle with 2 tsp flour and give another shake or two so they are evenly and thinly coated.
- Carefully put the potatoes into the hot fat – they will sizzle as they go in – then turn and roll them around so they are coated all over.
- Spread them in a single layer making sure they have plenty of room.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 mins, then take them out of the oven and turn them over.
- Roast for another 15 mins and turn them over again. Put them back in the oven for another 10-20 mins, or however long it takes to get them really golden and crisp. The colouring will be uneven, which is what you want.
- Scatter with Maldon salt and serve straight away.
Calories 391 calories, FatContent 23 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 3 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 43 grams carbohydrates, FiberContent 3 grams fiber, ProteinContent 5 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.42 milligram of sodium