HONEY BAKED HAM (THE REAL THING!) RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Yield: 20 serving(s)
|1 fully-cooked shank half ham, bone in (pre-sliced is best)|
|1 cup sugar (I like to use 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 white)|
|1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1/4 teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/8 teaspoon paprika|
|1 dash ground ginger|
|1 dash ground allspice|
- First you must slice your ham, if it is not already sliced.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into very thin slices around the bone.
- Do not cut all the way to the bone or the meat may not hold together properly as it is being glazed.
- You want the slices to be quite thin, but not so thin that they begin to fall apart of off the bone.
- You may wish to turn the ham onto its flat end and cut around it starting at the bottom.
- You can then spin the ham as you slice around and work your way up.
- Mix the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- (I like to make double this recipe for a nice large ham).
- Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface, such as your kitchen counter.
- Pour the sugar mixture onto the wax paper and spread it around evenly.
- Pick up the ham and roll it over the sugar mixture so that it is well coated.
- Do not coat the flat end of the ham, just the outer surface which you have sliced through.
- Again, I like to stuff some of the sugar mixture INSIDE the slices.
- Turn the ham onto its flat end on a plate.
- Use a blow torch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar.
- Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movements, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but does not burn.
- Spin the plate so that you can torch the entire surface of the ham.
- Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well-glazed (don’t expect to use all of the sugar mixture).
- Serve the ham cold (don’t put the sugar between the slices if you plan on doing this) or re-heat (THEN put the sugar between the slices BEFORE you caramelize it) just like the real thing!
- Don’t be frightened to use the torch!
- You can to it outside, if you wish.
- Just set it on something fire proof and have fun blazing away!
Calories 39.1, FatContent 0, SaturatedFatContent 0, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 0.2, CarbohydrateContent 10.1, FiberContent 0, SugarContent 10, ProteinContent 0
HONEY GLAZED HAM RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Colleen
Categories: Honey Ham
Total time: 1 hours 35 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 15 minutes
|1 (5 pound) ready-to-eat ham|
|¼ cup whole cloves|
|¼ cup dark corn syrup|
|2 cups honey|
|⅔ cup butter|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Score ham, and stud with the whole cloves. Place ham in foil lined pan.
- In the top half of a double boiler, heat the corn syrup, honey and butter. Keep glaze warm while baking ham.
- Brush glaze over ham, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Baste ham every 10 to 15 minutes with the honey glaze. During the last 4 to 5 minutes of baking, turn on broiler to caramelize the glaze. Remove from oven, and let sit a few minutes before serving.
Calories 520.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 42.4 g, CholesterolContent 95.8 mg, FatContent 28.3 g, FiberContent 0.6 g, ProteinContent 26.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 12.3 g, SodiumContent 1492.3 mg, SugarContent 38.6 g