RECIPE: ETHIOPIAN-STYLE CHICKPEA STEW | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
Provided by: WHOLEFOODSMARKET.COM
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
|1 teaspoon sweet paprika|
|1 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|1/2 teaspoon ground allspice|
|1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/2 teaspoon ground coriander|
|1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek (optional)|
|1/2 teaspoon ground ginger|
|2 (15.0-ounce) cans no-salt-added garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas), rinsed and drained|
|3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 red onion, chopped|
|1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped|
|1 (8.0-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce|
|4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth|
|1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks|
|4 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks|
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Stir together paprika, salt, allspice, black pepper, cardamom, cloves, coriander, cayenne, fenugreek (if using) and ginger in a small bowl; set spice mixture aside.
- Toss chickpeas with a tablespoon of the oil on a large rimmed baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast chickpeas, stirring occasionally, until somewhat dried out and just golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and chopped ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in reserved spice mixture and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until spices are toasted and very fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, potatoes, carrots and reserved chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes and carrots are just tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover pot and simmer until stew is thickened and potatoes and carrots are very tender, about 25 minutes more. Ladle stew into bowls.
Calories 400 calories, FatContent 9 grams, SaturatedFatContent 1 grams, CholesterolContent 0 milligrams, SodiumContent 710 milligrams, CarbohydrateContent 66 grams, ProteinContent 13 grams