COLD TOMATO & CHEESE SALAD RECIPE – FOOD.COM
|6 large tomatoes, diced (about 4 lbs)|
|1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled|
|1/2 cup olive oil|
|1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar|
|1/2 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon sea salt|
|1/2 teaspoon minced garlic|
|1 tablespoon chopped scallion|
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Calories 169.5, FatContent 15.8, SaturatedFatContent 3.3, CholesterolContent 8.3, SodiumContent 257.3, CarbohydrateContent 5.9, FiberContent 1.7, SugarContent 4, ProteinContent 2.6
COLD TOMATO SOUP RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: David Tanis
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 6 servings
|3 pounds ripe red tomatoes, cored and diced|
|4 large garlic cloves, sliced|
|1 tablespoon kosher salt, more if necessary|
|4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tablespoons sherry vinegar|
|Black pepper, to taste|
|Generous pinch cayenne|
|1 cup finely diced bell peppers, preferably a mix of colors|
|1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion, such as Vidalia|
|Salt and pepper|
|2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tablespoon sherry vinegar|
|6 slices freshly toasted French bread or ciabatta|
|1 garlic clove|
|1 firm ripe avocado|
|2 tablespoons chopped parsley|
|2 tablespoons chopped chives|
- Put tomatoes and garlic in a non-reactive bowl and sprinkle with salt. Add 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, the black pepper and cayenne. Mix well and leave to macerate for at least 15 minutes, or up to an hour.
- Pulse tomatoes in a food processor or blender until just crushed. Transfer to a strainer or food mill to remove skins and seeds, pressing well to obtain all the juices. You should have about 5 cups. Add enough ice water to yield 6 cups. Stir well, taste and adjust seasoning. Chill on a bowl of ice for 15 minutes or refrigerate for up to several hours.
- Make the pepper relish about 30 minutes before serving: Put diced bell peppers and onions in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, mix well and set aside.
- To serve, rub each toast lightly with garlic. Top toasts with thick slices of avocado and season with salt and pepper. Place an avocado toast in each bowl and ladle in about 1 cup of chilled soup per serving. Garnish with a generous spoonful of pepper relish and a sprinkling of parsley and chives.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 262, UnsaturatedFatContent 16 grams, CarbohydrateContent 21 grams, FatContent 19 grams, FiberContent 8 grams, ProteinContent 4 grams, SaturatedFatContent 3 grams, SodiumContent 785 milligrams, SugarContent 8 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
PASTA WITH NO-COOK TOMATO SAUCE RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Claire Saffitz
Yield: 4 servings
|1½ pounds tomatoes, any shape (larger than cherry), preferably slightly overripe so they feel like full water balloons|
|1 garlic clove|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces|
|4 teaspoons red wine vinegar|
|½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes|
|¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling|
|4 ounces finely grated Parmesan (about 1 cup), divided|
|12 ounces strand pasta, such as bucatini, spaghetti, or linguini|
|1 cup basil leaves, torn|
- Cut 1½ lb. tomatoes in half through the equator (in other words, not through the core, but across the midline). Hold halves in your palms and gently squeeze over a bowl to squeeze out seeds and surrounding juice/jelly.
→ How to get the seeds out of tomatoes
- Casually and imperfectly chop seeded tomatoes so you have some pieces that are very small and some pieces that are a bit larger, but everything should be smaller than an acorn.
- Transfer tomatoes to a large bowl and mash mixture several times with the back of a large spoon or potato masher to release more juices (you can also just use your hands).
- Finely grate 1 garlic clove into bowl with tomatoes with a microplane or fine grater, then add 2 Tbsp. butter, 4 tsp. vinegar, ½ tsp. red pepper, ¼ cup oil, and half of Parmesan. Season with several pinches of salt, then toss with a large spoon to combine.
- Cover bowl with plastic and let sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 5 hours. This lets the flavors marry and tomato juices exude (because we want a saucy pasta).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (4–6 qt.) and add a small fistful of salt. Cook 12 oz. pasta until al dente (follow package instructions).
- As soon as pasta is ready, use tongs to transfer noodles to bowl with tomatoes and TOSS TOSS TOSS. You want the hot pasta to melt the cheese and butter, which will thicken the sauce.
- Taste pasta and season with more salt, if needed, then toss in 1 cup basil.
- Using tongs, portion pasta into shallow bowls, then spoon remaining tomatoes and juices over.
- Top with remaining 2 oz. Parmesan, then drizzle with oil.