CANNING HOT PEPPERS IN OIL | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
Posting this now because I use these peppers in several of my recipes.
Just a quick note: The longer these peppers sit, the better they taste! They go great with my homemade Italian Bread with butter. praline pecans recettes.
Provided by: Megan Todd @Megan213
Prep time: 15 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes
|TO MAKE THE OVERNIGHT BRINE|
|1 gallon water|
|2 cup(s) salt|
|PREPARING PEPPERS & QUARTS|
|6-8 – quart jars for canning, lids & rings|
|1 – bushel, fresh picked hot peppers (or sweet) examples: hot hungarian wax, hot banana peppers, jalapeno, medium hot hungarian. (for sweet peppers, you can use sweet banana, etc.)|
|2-3 clove(s) garlic, per quart|
|1/2-1 teaspoon(s) italian seasoning mix, per quart|
|2-3 tablespoon(s) olive oil, extra virgin, per quart|
|pinch(es) small, of alum (optional), per quart|
|1 gallon water|
|1 cup(s) pickling salt|
|1 cup(s) cider vinegar|
- Prepare peppers:
Wash peppers, drain. Then, wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands, cut into rings about 1/2″ thick. Discard stem ends. Place cut pepper rings into a large stainless steel bowl or pan, or glass bowl.
Make brine using one gallon of water and 2 cups of salt, stir together until salt is dissolved.
Pour brine over peppers. Cover and allow to soak overnight. (10-12 hrs)
- Next day:
Prepare quart sized jars for canning peppers. Clean, & sterilize jars, lids & rings.
Place 2-3 cloves of garlic, Italian seasoning, EVOO, & alum (optional) in each quart sized jar.
- In a large stock pot, make canning solution of 1 gallon water, one cup pickling salt, & 1 cup cider vinegar. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Drain peppers. **** Rinse lightly with cold water. Pack peppers into quart size jars with garlic, olive oil, and Italian seasoning, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Fill with canning solution. (make sure to release any air bubbles.
Clean rim of jar. Tightly place lids and rims on jars.
Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
(Do not process in pressure cooker. Peppers will get mushy & not stay crisp.)
- **** You may add small green tomatoes, small pickles, small pieces of cauliflower, &/ or carrot slices to make a hot pepper vegetable mix. Just soak vegetables in brine overnight with peppers
- Store away in a cool place to allow seasonings to work. Can be used after 4 weeks, but they get better and hotter as more time goes by.
For hot peppers and oil, pour peppers into a glass bowl and add 1/2 cup olive oil. Serve with fresh Italian bread and butter.
SPICY REFRIGERATOR PICKLED PEPPERS | LOVE AND OLIVE OIL
Provided by: Love and Olive Oil
Total time: 12 hours
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 cup/1 half-pint jar
|1 cup white or apple cider vinegar|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|2 tablespoons dark brown sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon dried oregano|
|3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed|
|1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/2 lb red jalapenos or Italian roasting peppers, thinly sliced into 1/4-inch rounds|
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine vinegar, salt, brown sugar, oregano, garlic cloves and olive oil and bring to a simmer. Add sliced peppers and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the peppers are tender.Transfer peppers into a pint mason jar and pour the liquid over top; secure with airtight lid and refrigerate overnight to let flavors infuse. Peppers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.